Nowatel signed a contract with the largest system integrator in Lithuania—FIMA AB—concerning the delivery of the OpenRDS dispatching system to construct a nationwide digital mobile radio (DMR) network for the largest Lithuanian power distribution company. It will be the largest Tier II DMR communications system in Lithuania
The system comprises 30 dispatching consoles located at two telecommunications network management centres located in Vilnius and in Kaunas. The first stage involves a radio network comprising 60 RD625 Hytera’s repeaters and 200 hand-held and mobile DMR radios. The OpenRDS system will be handling nearly 50 telephone lines connected to the system together with complex queuing functions.
Nowatel’s solution outcompeted solutions proposed by Motorola and Hytera, due to its unique features, such as:
- being independent of radio equipment suppliers and an entirely free choice of radio technologies;
- a possibility to freely modify user interface and availability of various UI languages (including Lithuanian);
- a complete system, fully handling telephone and radio connections together with all related services (i.e. a system recorder, queues, conference rooms, a virtual repeater, etc.);
- flexibility and a broad range of possibilities of integration with present resources.
The system contains unique solutions created for the aforementioned project:
- full High Availability redundancy—the system was build and implemented in a manner which guarantees its full availability in case of any failure (server, link, panel failure, etc.). The system automatically monitors available resources and dynamically manages them. A server failure will result in an automatic assignment of all devices to redundant servers. In case of a disruption in the operation of telecommunication links, the available repeaters, panels and other devices will be assigned to the nearest available service server (radio server, VoIP switchboard, database server, recording system, etc.). After a recovery from the failure, all system elements will be automatically synchronised with each other, the devices will be reconnected to primary servers and they will continue their operation. The system does not require users to perform any operations. System failures will not be noticeable for dispatchers.
- extended virtual repeater functionality—it enables dynamic creation of groups of repeaters operating in the DMR Tier II mode and a quick change of radio network topology. In case of an emergency (a crisis situation, a need for personnel to cooperate on site within a particular area, etc.), the dispatcher may dynamically connect selected areas or groups of repeaters together to create a joint radio domain.
In December 2016, the solution passed Factory Acceptance Tests (FAT), which confirmed the feasibility of Nowatel and FIMA executing the most complex projects on international markets.
The project is the result of a change of Nowatel’s strategy and it focusing on large ICT projects requiring greater competence in the scope of IT systems integration, in particular with regard to corporate clients.